Friday, February 5, 2010

Lesbian lip-locks, racy stage performances, Ellen & Portia!


SO sad I was not able to attend neither of this weeks lectures on the "Queer Theory". I've heard a few of the responses to tuesday's and thursday's lectures and needless to say, it seems that everyone found them enjoyable. Again, so sad I wasn't there. However, I did manage to read most of the readings and a few of my classmates' blogs and I felt inspired to write one myself. Last night I began thinking a little about homosexuality; I started linking it to some of the course material we've already learned: racism,ideology, and binarism. The binary opposition is obvious: Heterosexuality vs Homosexuality. Homosexuality is a lot like racism in the sense that homosexuals are discriminated by those heterosexual, just as non-whites are discriminated by whites; and like racism, homosexuality is very much swept under the rug (I really believe this). We, as members of society, say we believe in equality and fairness. But if this were true, do you think there would be such big commotions towards Lady GaGa and her genitalia, the infamous kiss between Britney and Madonna, and, more recent, Adam Lambert's racy stage performances? No. As for ideology, it turns out to be a very powerful thing: ideology is to blame for inequality and unfairness. The constant reminder that heterosexuality is normal instantly depreciates homosexuals. What if homosexuality was the norm? Whose to say it isn't? Ideology; it constantly reinforces heterosexuality. What I find particularly interesting is that even though both men and women express homosexuality, gay men are more subjected to discrimination. For instance, take Ellen Degeneres and her female lover Portia de Rossi. Ellen has always been very open and proud of her sexuality and so has Portia. Wouldn't you agree that this lesbian couple is very respected? Perhaps one of the most respected lesbian couples there are. This is not to say people did 'talk' or 'make deal' of Ellen and her partner - I mean, surely there were those who disapproved.. but I don't think its wrong to say their relationship is highly respected to some degree. In contrast, when a homosexual man reveals his sexuality, its like he receives twice the discrimination as homosexual women, and enough publicity and criticism to last MONTHS. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment